Wednesday, October 5, 2011

26 Days till Halloween

Sisters, I believe this calls for a countdown!

I thought we were overdue for another Top 10!  So here you have it.  We all have those movies that it is just not Halloween without.  Many of them were annual favorites instilled in our childhood.  Come with me on a trip down memory lane as we countdown the Top 10 Kids' Halloween Movies!  This will be a special treat for my fellow 90's kids.





Top 10 Kids' Halloween Movies


10. Are You Afraid of the Dark? (1991)


Plot: A group of teenagers comes together every weekend to tell scary stories around a campfire.

Reasons to Watch: This show had some legitimately scary stories...and that was one kick-ass opening sequence.

Reasons not to Watch: There were a few episodes that were pretty lame.

Review:  OK, it's not technically a move.  However, it is non-episodic and works more like several short films than a series.  If you were a kid in the 90's and had Nickelodeon, chances are you watched this show...a lot!  If it was possible, I would still be watching this show.




9. Goosebumps (1995)


Plot: Various


Reasons to Watch: If you were a fan of the original novels


Reasons not to Watch: They get pretty campy.


Review:  Again, we're stretching here.  This was another major part of growing up in the 90's.  They were campy and over-the-top, but that's what made them so much fun.  I had to watch this every afternoon when I got home from school...along with its knock-off: Eerie, Indiana.  My favorite episode was The Phantom of the Auditorium, which was my favorite of the books.











8. The Witches (1990)


Plot:  A young boy and his grandmother, an ex-witch hunter go on holiday at a grand resort.  Little do they know that witches from all over the world are gathering in that very same hotel for a convention.  Now it's up to them to stop the witches once and for all.


Stars: Angelica Huston, several British actors not well-known in America


Reasons to Watch: Anjelica Huston is one haunting actress.  Also, it has a very intriguing storyline.

Reasons not to Watch: Anjelica Huston's grotesque prosthetics...again, that may be a reason to watch for some of you.

Review: This is another one of those movies that I picked up in the video rental station of the local supermarket.  Well, the first time we rented it, I made it about 20 minutes in and high-tailed it out of the room as soon the Grand High Witch first showed her true face.  I don't think I could even finish the movie that time around.  With more and more rentals of the video, I was able to gradually acclimate myself to the special effects makeup.  This is actually a darker children's movie, but then again it is from the mind of the same man who wrote Charlie and the Chocolate Factory.  This is definitely one to watch with the kiddies just incase it's a little too much.  At any rate, it is a well put together film.

Did you know?: The ending of the story was changed for US audiences as the original was thought to be too dark.




7. The Worst Witch (1986)

Plot: Mildred is a misfit student at a prestigious academy for witches.  Be that as it may, it falls into her hands to foil the plans of an evil witch to destroy the school before the Grand Wizard arrives for their big Halloween celebration.

Stars: Fairuza Balk, Tim Curry, Charlotte Rae, Diana Rigg

Reasons to Watch: Tim Fucking Curry and his random musical number.

Reasons not to Watch: It's 80's-tastic

Review: I haven't seen this movie in years, but I remember loving it as a kid.  It's a little cheesy and the effects are bleh, but hey, it's an 80's movie - that's half the charm.  It's a chance to see a young Fairuza Balk as a little witch before she group to play an evil one in The Craft.

Did you know?: This movie is based on a book series and was later turned into a television series.



6. Casper (1995)


Plot: Carrigan Crittenden has just inherited Whipstaff Manor from her late father.  While she has little interest in the house itself, she goes there in hopes of discovering the fortune that is allegedly housed within.  Unfortunately for her, the house is inhabited by three mischievous spirits and their nephew, Casper the friendly ghost.  Crittenden enlists the services of afterlife therapist Dr. James Harvey, who brings along his daughter, Kat.  Although initially frightened by the spooky residents of Whipstaff, she quickly befriends Casper and they form a close bond.


Stars: Christina Ricci, Bill Pullman, Cathy Moriarty, and Eric Idle


Reasons to Watch: It is a funny and touching movie.  It also handles the difficult theme of moving on after the loss of a loved one.


Reasons not to Watch: Honestly, I don't know if there is one, unless you're strongly against unrealistic situations...in which case you shouldn't watch any of these movies.

Review: Cute and poignant - a great combination for a family film.  The storyline is easy for children to follow without being so simple that it's painful for us.  This is one of those films that can be enjoyed by all ages.  I like it just as much now as I did when I first saw it.  The ghastly trio is hilarious and the pairing between Kat and Casper is really sweet.

Did you know?: Kat and Dr. Harvey's last name comes from Harvey Comics, the producers of the original Casper comics.

Memorable Quotes: 


Dibs: "You can haunt me all you want, but it's gonna be in a great big expensive house, with lovely purple wallpaper, and great big green carpets, and a little dog, called 'Carrigan' - a bitch, just like you! I've got the power! I've got the treasure!"
Carrigan: "You've got a flight to catch!"

Stinkie, Stretch, and Fatso: "All for one and one for all!"
Stretch: "Catch your pants before they fall!"

Casper: "God, I'd kill for a pinky..."

Kat: "Drop dead!"
Stretch: "Too late!"

Fatso: "I feel like Oprah on hiatus!"
Stretch: "You look like Oprah on hiatus!"

Fatso: "We got a closet case here!"

Sequels: Well, it's really a quasi-prequel and quasi-sequel.  After this movie, Universal sold the rights to Twentieth Century Fox, who produced two new films in the same style as this one.  Casper: A Spirited Beginning (1997) was, in my opinion, a rather lackluster film.  It detailed how Casper came to live with his "uncles" (revealed here that they're not actually related).  The other film, Casper Meets Wendy (1998), was much better.  This film brought the comic book cohorts together for the first time in a live action format.  While a little hokey, it is still pretty cute.



5. The Nightmare Before Christmas (1993)


Plot: Jack the Pumpkin King stumbles into Christmastown; decides to take Santa's job.  Wackiness ensues.


Stars: Danny Elfman, Catherine O'Hara, Chris Sarandon, Ken Page


Reasons to Watch: Tim Burton's delightfully dark visions are always oddly beautiful...and this one seems to be a real crowd favorite.


Reasons not to Watch:  Possibly overhyped.

Review: OK, don't shoot me, but I've never seen this movie.  So, this is kind of getting ranked based on reputation.  I've heard a lot of good things about it, I've just never been like "OMG! GOTTA WATCH!"

Did you know?: Composer Danny Elfman provided the singing voice of Jack Skellington?


4.  Ernest Scared Stupid (1991)

Plot: Ernest accidentally unleashed an evil troll whom his great grandfather had banished years before.  As long as the creature is on the loose, all the children of Briarville are in jeopardy.  With the help of Old Lady Hackmore, it is up to Ernest to destroy the troll once and for all.

Stars: Jim Varney, Eartha Kitt, and a cast of nameless faces.

Reasons to Watch: Eartha. Kitt.  'Nuff said.

Reasons not to Watch: The humor gets old fast unless you're a child.

Review: Don't get me wrong, I love this movie, but it was much better when I was younger.  The reason I rank it so high is because I thought it was a masterpiece when I was 4, so I kind of have to go with a child's perspective seeing as this is a countdown of children's films.  The Ernest movies were something my dad introduced me to and we watched them all the time; so the evocation of happy times with the family also give this a boost on my list.  Also, it's worth a watch because Eartha Kitt, as always, stellar...and, I'll admit, it's still a kind of fun movie to watch...even if just for Ernest's split personalities.

Did you know?: Milk has the ability to make trolls explode.

Memorable Quotes: 

Ernest: "I thought we needed Dress Shield..."

Troll: "You will die for the disgrace of your forefathers!"
Ernest: "But I didn't have four fathers!  I only had one father and I didn't know him that well!"

Ernest: "Oh, I sure hope you're from Keebler..."

Ernest: "Nuh uh, ain't no trees in Botswana, nuh uh, I know, I AM a Botswanian lumberjack, and I ain't never had a job..."

Old Lady Hackmore: "You are the 7th son of the 7th son, you are the baby, you are the boy, it is YOUR legacy. You are the great redneck hope!"

Ernest: "You'd better stay away. I know jujitsu, kung fu, karate, tai chi, and I saw "Hulkamania" three times. Once in slow-mo."



3. Double, Double, Toil and Trouble (1993)

Plot: Identical twin sisters Lynn and Kelly must save their Aunt Sophia, who has been enchanted into a mirror, from their wicked Aunt Agatha (Sophia's identical twin).  In order to do so, they must get their hands on Agatha's beloved Moonstone, an ancient relic with mystic power.  They enlist assistance of Oscar (a little person who performs as a clown), Mr. N. (a homeless man.  OK, it's not as bad as it sounds), and a gravedigger.

Stars: Mary Kate and Ashley Olsen, Cloris Leachman, Phil Fondacaro, Meschach Taylor, and Eric McCormak

Reasons to Watch: Cloris Leachman's dual role as Sophia and Agatha is simply spectacular.  It allows the actress to really show her versatility as a loving, kind great aunt and as a nasty, wicked witch.


Reasons not to Watch: The Olsen twins' smugness and smart-ass dialogue will get on your nerves real fast if you're over the age of 7.

Review: Another blast from my past.  This was originally a TV movie on ABC.  It was another one of those must-see movies at this time every year.  At my current age, I find it much less enchanting than I did when I was 3, but it still has a place in my heart as a fond memory.  It has several plot holes and, in some parts, it gets kind of creepy when you think about the characters those little girls are hanging around with.  Nowadays, I find that the Leachman's brilliant acting is what makes it bearable.

Did you know?: Young Sophia and Agatha were just the Olsen twins in crappy wigs?  Of course you did.

Memorable Quotes: 
Agatha: "Who gave you permission to have anyone fall in love with you?!"

Agatha: "That's good!  No!  That's good! THAT'S GOOD!"



2. It's the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown (1966)

Plot: It's Halloweentime for the Peanuts gang!  While the other children go trick-or-treating and to a Halloween party, Linus convinces Sally to sit up and wait in the pumpkin patch with him in hopes of catching a glimpse of The Great Pumpkin.

Reasons to Watch: It's cute and, as is the case with all the Peanuts films, heartwarming.

Reasons not to Watch: You don't care for extremely simple plots of movies geared towards lower elementary students.

Review: This is the oldest film on our countdown.  In fact, this could quite possibly the first children's Halloween film.  Great Pumpkin has been a Halloween staple since our parents were children.  As far as I'm concerned, that's reason enough to rank it so high.  If it's persisted this long and still gets a yearly prime-time television showing, it's obviously done everything right.  It's just not Halloween without this one.  Ah, nostalgia.

Did you know?: It has been reported that after the original airing of the TV special Charles Schultz received packages of Halloween candy via mail from children asking him to give it to Charlie Brown.

Memorable Quotes:
Charlie Brown: "I got a rock..."

Lucy: "All you have to do is walk up to a house, ring the bell, and say, "tricks or treats."
Sally: "Are you sure it's legal?"

Lucy: "Of course it's legal!"
Sally: "I wouldn't want to be accused of taking part in a rumble."

Sally: "If you try to hold my hand, I'll slug you!"



1. Hocus Pocus (1993)

Plot: 300 years ago the Sanderson sisters were hung for witchcraft.  In the year 1993 teenager Max Dennison inadvertently raises them from the grave by lighting the cursed Black Flame Candle.  Now he; his little sister, Dani; and his crush, Alison, aided by Binx, the (enchanted) black cat, and Billy, the zombie, must find a way to stop them before they suck the lives out of all the children of Salem.

Stars: Bette Midler, Sarah Jessica Parker, Kathy Najimy, Thora Burch, Doug Jones

Reasons to Watch: It's one hell of a good movie.

Reasons not to Watch: I can't find any.

Review: Hands down the best Halloween movie of my generation.  The costumes are beautiful, the special effects are great, the cast is phenomenal, and the story is pretty solid.  Although it is darn near 20 years old, it isn't dated at all, well, unless you look at the clothes the teenagers are wearing in school, but whatever.  Also, it ranks #1 because as we age, the movie does not change for us.  It is just as good as it was when I was 5.  I didn't grow out of the humor as I did with several of the others.  Say what you want about High School Musical, this movie proves that Kenny Ortega is an amazing director.

Did you know?:  Hocus Pocus was originally planned as TV movie but executives at Disney felt it was strong enough to hold its own as a major motion picture in a theatrical release.

Memorable Quotes: 
Billy: "Go to Hell!"
Winnie: "Oh, I've been there, thank you.  I found it quite lovely!"

Winnie: "Oh, look, another glorious morning...MAKES ME SICK!"

Winnie: "Don't get your knickers in a twist!  We're just three kindly old spinster ladies."
Mary: "Spending a quite evening at home..."
Sarah: "SUCKING THE LIFE OUT OF LITTLE CHILDREN!"
Sarah: "Amok! Amok! Amok! Amok!"

Sarah: "Explain what?"

No comments:

Post a Comment